I’m reaching the final stages of my crusade to publish a book about my ten year journey to the summit of Everest, and am keen to have your feedback about two very different concepts we have in mind for the book cover.
The book will be called Seven Steps from Snowdon to Everest, and describes the journey I took and the mountains I climbed as I progressed from being an ordinary hill walker to high-altitude mountaineer.
I provided a thorough brief to my designer, Andrew Brown of Design for Writers, emphasising a number of key concepts.
Some of the more important ones were:
- The book is intended to have popular appeal, and attract all readers who enjoy the genre of travel writing, not just Everest and mountaineering enthusiasts
- The book is about an ordinary guy chasing an extraordinary dream, against the odds
- The book is not just about Everest, but other mountains and other places
- This isn’t just another epic mountaineering disaster book: while mountains can be hostile, they are also places of beauty
- In particular I wanted a cover that would make the book stand out from other books about Everest
We have two very different concepts for the cover: a photographic one, and one involving artwork.
The feedback I am looking for is very specific, and I would be grateful if you can answer the specific questions I have in the comments.
At this moment in time I am strongly favouring Concept B, the artwork.
Before I go down this route I just need a quick sanity check from people who read my blog and are familiar with my writing, to ensure I will not be confusing potential readers about what sort of book they are buying.
My three questions are:
- Which concept do you prefer: A or B?
- If you were looking at book cover A on Amazon, what other book(s) does it remind you of?
- If you were looking at book cover B on Amazon, what other book(s) does it remind you of?
For questions 2 and 3 feel free to suggest any book – it doesn’t have to be a book about mountaineering.
Thank you so much for your feedback. I plan to publish Seven Steps from Snowdon to Everest as an ebook in November/December, and eventually as a paperback as well.
It will be available to buy pre-launch for half price, hopefully in September. You can subscribe to my email newsletter for updates.
[EXCITING UPDATE 2 SEPTEMBER 2015 – THE BOOK IS NOW AVAILABLE TO PRE-ORDER!]