The last day at Manaslu Base Camp before our summit push. Although our acclimatisation schedule has been quite aggressive, a reasonably benign weather window has appeared which we need to take advantage of. We leave for Camp 1 tomorrow (23rd) and have 4 camps in total before summit day. If all goes to plan we’ll reach the summit on 27th and be back down in base camp the following day (28th).
We still have plenty of time, so if for any reason any of us are not feeling adequately acclimatised, we can always come back down and wait for the next weather window. There is unlikely to be a better one than this one, though: winds are predicted to be light, there’s a slight chance of snow, but the quantity is likely to be small. Although there’s been quite a lot of rain at base camp, conditions higher up have been quite dry, and the mountain is much safer than in previous years.
It’s going to be tough, but I’m intending to use oxygen on summit day, and have been to 7546m without, so am reasonably hopeful I can reach the magic 8163m with oxygen this time around, if conditions permit.
Otherwise it’s just one foot in front of the other, fingers crossed and keep going.